This Unicorn Cake is Magically Easy to Make
Buttercream unicorn cakes have become a mega trend, causing a frenzy whenever they magically appear. But you may be amazed to learn how easy they are to make.
For this beauty, all you need is a couple of easy-to-shape fondant pieces, some basic buttercream piping and all the fun of added cookies and candies to really bring the flair.
Things you’ll need
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 1 stick (4 ounces) salted butter, at room temperature
- ¼ cup solid vegetable shortening
- 1 ½ cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoons almond extract
- 5 large egg whites
- ¾ cup whole milk
- ¼ cup rainbow sprinkles
Let’s get started!
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Grease and line three six-inch round cake pans.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt.
- In a large bowl, use an electric mixer to beat butter, shortening and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add egg whites one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla and almond extracts.
- On low speed, alternate adding the flour mixture and milk to the butter mixture, beginning and ending with the flour. Fold sprinkles into the batter.
- Divide batter evenly between cake pans bake for 30 to 35 minutes.
- Once cakes are fully cooled, level them with a cake leveler.
- Stack cakes on a cake board, making sure to frost between each layer.
- Use a cake turntable to smooth white frosting over the entire cake.
Time to decorate!
- Use white fondant to make a unicorn horn.
- Mix a few drops of almond extract into edible gold dust and then brush it onto the horn.
- Use teardrop cutters to create fondant ears and then paint the inner ear gold. Insert a toothpick into the bottom of each ear.
- Pipe rosettes on the top and along one side of the cake using the pink and light purple frostings each fitted with a #824 tip.
- Add dollops of details using the pink and dark purple frostings each fitted with a #4B tip and the blue and dark purple frosting each fitted with a #2A tip.
- Pipe eyes onto the front center of the cake. Place horn on the top center of the cake and the ears on either side of the horn.
- Ta-da! This colorful Unicorn Cake will bring magic to any occasion!
You can get our best selling Unicorn Mold here